Season Play Results

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
JaxDuffer
Chronic Slicer

Re: Season Play Results

Post by JaxDuffer »

I can't make a freaking cut!!

It is really grating that if you shoot over par in round 1, you can essentially kiss a cut goodbye. Most of my cuts are happening around -4. My last tourney, I just stunk the place up and shot +4 in round 1. I didn't even try in round 2.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Jax! Don't give up the ship because you shot a +4. In many of my tournaments 1 or 2 over has made the cut. True about 75 percent of the time the cut is 1 to 3 under par but you may be supprised that occassionally a +2 will make it. Heck in the tourny I'm currently playing I played terrible at times and was at +3 after the first 2 rounds and somehow made the cut on the #. Thats really rare but it shows it can happen. It can also depend on what you have set as your cut specifics (which can be edited )In most tournys after 2 rounds my settings are the same as the regular PGA Tour. Either within 10 strokes of the leader or top 70. I still use that formula except I found that to many people were usually making the cut. So last season I decided to have a second cut. The 2nd round cut which I mentioned and a new cut after the 3rd round of (within 7 strokes of the leader or top 70) and that has really made a big difference as to getting the field down to near that 70 mark that the PGA uses in most tournys ( NOT ALL ).
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Well Jax if you makes you feel any better I've missed 4 cuts now, including this week's event at PGA National. I had 95 golfers make the first cut (75 was set) then decided to do a 3rd round cut to bring it back down to 75+ties. I still ended up with 88 finishers, but I wasn't one of them. Gusty winds totally wiped me out; but I was happy to see that the pros didn't do any better, lol... the real 1st round saw only 7 red finishers.

#9, The Honda Classic. I'll be honest with you, until this year I've never seen AI golfers finish so low. Charles Howell III won by two strokes with a -25, shooting 62 (-8) in the final round in l/d/g conditions! I'm used to seeing finishers around -15 to -18 in previous years. I now have 2 players in the $2M Club and 13 in $1M club. Missing the second cut dropped me from #2 two weeks ago (along with a crummy matchplay paycheck) to #7 this week on the money list. Like at Torrey Pines, those almost-500 yard p4s and high winds just destroy me. The rest of my Top 10:
2 Dean Wilson -23
3 Joe Durant -21
T4 Jonathan Byrd, Bryce Molder -20
6 Webb Simpson -19
T7 Pat Perez, Retief Goosen -18
T9 , Heath Slocum, David Toms -17
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

The Maybank Mayalasian Open has concluded with the winner being Charlie Wi by 2 strokes at
-15. I shot 75,72,73 because basicly I Stunk on way to many holes. I was shocked that I even made the first cut but I knew I had to go low in round 3 but my A game was MIA. So I got no money or points and I need to hit the practice green some more. The rough also gave me problems ( I was in it way more then usual ). I could never figure out what the ball was going to do out of the rough. It seemed on flops I would get a bit of a flier but normal shots was a low ball that was a cross between a regular shot and punch. Plus I stunk on way to many greens with the putter. Whitsunday Island is a very good course that I only had 1 gripe with. Every green was completely surrounded by rough 360 degrees. I don't mine this normally but not every hole please.

Next up The Heritage with a new course. I've played HarbourTown many times so in my continuing effort to play courses that I haven't played in tournys I have choosen Tidewater
G.C. and Plantation to host this event. From what I've seen this course looks like a possible sister course.
JaxDuffer
Chronic Slicer

Post by JaxDuffer »

The Masters....was a frustrating experience. After a poor opening round of E, I crushed a -8 to easily make the cut. On the first hole of the 3rd round, I got stuck in the bunker off of the tee and shot a triple bogey. Never recovered after that and shot +2. I was 1 of only 4 + rounds in tough conditions!! What?! So the last round, I am putting for birdie on the 2nd green from 7 feet away and the green has a design error in it that pushes the ball violently to one side. I end up with a triple bogey. Fought back the whole game and finished 4 under for the round, good enough for t45. I ended up 9 strokes behind the leader, with probably 7 of those flukish. aarrgghhh.
Last edited by JaxDuffer on March 9th, 2011, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Well Jax congratulations. For a guy who couldn't make a cut to a T49 at Augusta, that's not a bad jump. Sorry 'bout that nasty spike; that's both the players and designers biggest nightmare. Which version were you playing, btw, Polslad's '06 or McHales '01 version?

I'm getting ready to start the Honda. Think I'll pair myself with Tiger and Phil and put them out of the picture early, lol. j/k.
Doral is one of my favorite Florida courses (a friend of mine played it for real once, but he usually doesn't tell anyone about it) and I'm hoping to get at least into the T10 here.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! You should do well at Doral! I've found it to be one of the easier courses on the tour at least for me. You can play it safe and still get plenty of birdie opportunities. Season #5 I shot
-16 and won then in season #6 shot one of my best ever 4 rounds 67,61,61,66 = -33 and won by 14 strokes.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Well I nearly bit the bullet on #4 today. Cruising along fine, already -2 on the day/-8 for the tourney. Par 3, gusty wind from the right, so I aim well that way and manage to clip the palm treetop... splash! Played Tincup (Kostner, not Dar!) for 2 shots before I finally freed myself that the (long) deep velcro.. er, rough and ended up with a 9! That put me at -1 (projected cut number: -4.) But I managed to make up all the lost strokes (putter, thankfully, was red hot) and ended up at -3/-8 and T17. With just a par I would be in 2cd (assuming I was as inspired(!) to shoot well as I was) and in the lead group with Paul Casey and Bubby Watson (the kiss of death.)
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Another frustrating tournament, sigh. I made enough birds and a couple of eagles, enough to win, but I couldn't stay out of trouble, scoring at least a double-bogey in every round at Doral. I did manage a T13 with a -16, but I don't think there's an easier course on tour than Doral. Paul Casey has won his second event and is close to $4M for this early season. #4 was my real nemesis; par, 2 bogies and that 9. The top 10:
1. Casey -25
2. Zach Johnson -23
3. Greg Chalmers -21
T4. Shaun O'Hair, Retief Goosen -20
T6. JB Holmes, Vaughn Taylor, Charley Hoffman, -19
T9. John Senden, Bubba Watson -18

Next stop, the Transitions Championship at Dale's Innisbrook Copperhead course, a toughie.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

I finished the Heritage on Friday but this is my first chance to get online and post the results. I really had ALOT of fun playing at the real rendition course Tidewater G,C. & Plantation. This course looks pretty easy and their are plenty of birdie opportunities but it plays tougher then it looks for the most part. The greens roll true with some two tierd and with several pin placements that can bite you if to aggressive.It had alot of subtile difficulties that added to its charm. A tree placed here or a tight tee shot their it was always something different. I like it much more then Harbour Town and it absolutly could be its sister. Anyone who doen't have this course should go get this A list course A.S.A.P.
The first round I shot a disappointing ( 69 ) -3. Normally I would be happy with that score but when you open the first nine at -6 ( 30 ) then shoot 39 on the back its what it is. Anyhow I had my best driving round of the season so far finding the fairway nearly 80% of the time with good distance most of the time. In my 4 rounds I can only think of 2 crappy drives (1 was in the water at #10 in round #1) which should'nt happen because its not that difficult to clear that water hazard. So I shoot that -6 opening 9 and only shoot -4 for the remainder of the tournament. I really played well, better then my -10 would indicate. I had alot of tap in pars. that just barely missed being a birdie. My -10 gave me a tie for 9th ( 1 point & $97,305 ) The winner was Jerry Kelly at - 18 by 4 strokes
Next up on my PGA World Tour its off to Icheon Seoul, Korea Republic and The Ballantines Championship. I usually try to play my courses somewhere and I"ve decided Point Reyes will host this event ( OUCH ). I'll need my A game and a little good luck to do well.