Boulder Pass

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Re: Boulder Pass

Post by tarheel »

That one looks like a fun challenge. I love a short par 4, but rarely eagle them
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

tarheel wrote: July 15th, 2024, 5:00 pm That one looks like a fun challenge. I love a short par 4, but rarely eagle them
Tarheel, they are usually hit or miss, mostly miss, but they are fun and always so tempting. I like to put them in the front nine where the golfer is usually more aggressive and will have the tendency to go for it. One of the true treats of golf is to reach the green of a par 4 off the tee.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Hole #9 @ Boulder Pass is a 476 yard conventional par 4. Off the tee a bunker on the right side will catch the shorter errant drives while the concrete bunker to the left will frustrate a few of the power drivers. The approach is straightforward with bunkers on either side protecting the undulating green which is surprisingly easy to overshoot.

Views from tee, approach and green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard027.jpg
(420.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard028.jpg
(338.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard029.jpg
(307.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

The way you can place realistic plantings and proper depth perception into your work is really stunning Steve. Great job!
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

JReel wrote: July 25th, 2024, 7:04 am The way you can place realistic plantings and proper depth perception into your work is really stunning Steve. Great job!
Thanks Jeff, much appreciated! This design is kind of special to me and I'm putting a lot of time into it.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

The turn @ Boulder Pass starts with a 550 yard par 5 that is definitely reachable in two shots. You tee off through a chute of trees to a fairway that narrows extremely at the landing area with bunkers on either side but a little extra off the tee will get you past that to the wider playing surface. Here you have options, the first being to lay up and then lob to the green but avoid the bunker on the left and don't overshoot the fairway to the pond. The second option is to add a little to your approach and try to find the fairway fronting the green but you must carry the water and avoid the bunker to the left or the trio of bunkers and the pond on the right. Then of course you can just go for the green but be warned that hole #10 has one of the toughest greens at the Pass!
Views from tee, landing area, lay up, front and rear of green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard030.jpg
(490.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard031.jpg
(382.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance