Boulder Pass

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: Boulder Pass

Post by Sundance »

tarheel wrote: July 4th, 2024, 7:54 pm
Sundance wrote: July 4th, 2024, 2:57 pm
tarheel wrote: July 4th, 2024, 9:06 am

We spent our time over last couple weeks in St. Thomas. First time there, and it was awesome. The islanders are so incredibly nice. Expensive place. We had a condo at the Ritz and did a bunch of cooking ourselves, so went to the grocery store (the one the islanders use…not a touristy one) and it was still about 14 bucks for a frozen pizza!
Frozen pizza? You could have gotten that here you should be eating exotic dishes..........LOL Sounds like you guys had a Great Time. Good to have you back!
Not to fear, we went out and had some great food too. But had a couple nights 'in' and typically had snacks for lunch. My wife does not like spending money, but she is balanced out by one of my daughters who has expensive tastes for everything.
LOL, we definitely need balance in our life my friend!!
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageThe next three holes @ Boulder Pass are grouped together so closely that at any given shot you may see all three holes. They are jokingly referred to as"'The Cluster at the Pass" but don't be mislead as they can make or break your round. The first of the trio is hole 6, a par 3. From the black tees you are 210 yards and 36 feet above the green that is protected in front by water and then a bunker completely encased in concrete. The rear of the green is protected by yet another body of water. The green itself is very wide but not very deep which forces the golfer to challenge the bunker in front to safely stick the dance floor. If by chance you hit the concrete that encases the bunker your tee shot may go anywhere and at this point I am claiming plausible deniability for the outcome. Those that stick the green have a great shot at birdie and are off to a fantastic start at "The Cluster".

View from tee and green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard019.jpg
(411.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard18.jpg
(381.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

Really cool view to the cluster! I feel like I'm in a candy store for the eyes :)
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

tarheel wrote: July 6th, 2024, 3:24 pm Really cool view to the cluster! I feel like I'm in a candy store for the eyes :)
Thanks Brad. These three holes are fun. The next is a reachable par 5 and the last of the three is a reachable par 4 at 306 yards but there are consequences. :)
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole #7 @ Boulder Pass is a 547 yard par 5. This is the second hole of 'The Cluster' and is reachable in two but requires a near perfect power drive into the wind to really have a good approach. The landing area fairway slopes right to left and feeds the concrete bunker on that side while another bunker on the right will catch errant drives by the average golfer. Most will lay up off the tee and shoot for the short fairway in front of the green completely by-passing the second fairway. There are bunkers on either side of the green and heavy rough mounds fronting the short fairway. Long putts will be a challenge as well. Welcome to 'The Cluster'!

Views from the tee, approach and behind the green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard021.jpg
(341.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard020.jpg
(410.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Attachments
Clipboard022.jpg
(322.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Galen_Golf4676
Club Champion

Post by Galen_Golf4676 »

Nice! Looks like the tee shot needs to be pretty accurate to find the short grass.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Galen_Golf4676 wrote: July 10th, 2024, 6:18 pm Nice! Looks like the tee shot needs to be pretty accurate to find the short grass.
Galen, the tee shot has to be right on the money especially for the power drivers. My approach is a normal drive slightly to the right where there is a little less slope. This allows for you to get position for a short lob to the green or really go for the green but with the added distance even with the gradual downhill slope most will come up short.