Season Play Results

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: Season Play Results

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

#4, Farmers Insurance Open @ Torrey Pines. Well I made the cut and was doing well until the 3rd round when I hit 2 shots over the back of #17 for a quad bogey; gusty wind at my back is not my favorite condition. My first playoff finish between Bryce Molder and Webb Simpson (both -18) which Molder won. That's a new name for me. The rest of the top 10:
3. Charlie Wi (-17)
T4. Tim Clark, Chad Campbell, Rory Sabbatini (-16)
T7. Mark Wilson, Chris Riley (-15)
T9. Zach Johnson, Dean Wilson, Robert Garrigus, Aaron Baddeley, Chad Collins (-14)

In keeping with the best journalistic traditions, Tiger Woods made his first cut of 2011 and finished -11 (T23). Your correspondent, who is stinking up the joint but is having fun, finished -5 (T73). Next stop: TPC Scottsdale for the "Waist Management Phoenix Open" sponsored by Weight Watchers.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Indy! My PGA World Tour is currently doing the WGC - Accenture Match Play Championship. I delayed doing this tourny so I could play all the contest courses in regular season mode as regular tour stops. I accually won the previous tourny Sicilan Open a euro tourny shooting -23 at Alkimos. I had 0 wins last season after a amazing season six which I won 12 tournys. I won my 1st 2 matches defeating Ian Poulter in my last match 2 up. My next match is against Yuta Ikeda. I've never won this event or even made the final 4 so maybe this time I can get it done. I do make all the AI players accually play whom ever their opponent is.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Cool Steve. I've never played a complete 39-game season (I usually just schedule 25 events) but I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm not quite to the match play event. How did you select your players, by money, complete ranking or some other means? I used top money last year, think I'm going with complete stats this year. (Right now it would match me vs. Hunter Mahan in the 1st round. I've never made it past top 8.)

I finished up the Phoenix Open (TPC@Scottsdale) today. I keep making stupid mistakes then getting double bogeys that destroy the ground I've made up, but playing 4 straight rounds in wicked conditions is pretty tough. My easiest setting is l/d/b for one round with three on either dry or wet with gusty or strong winds. Anyway I finished -12 (T21) and have dropped to 3rd on the money list (would be a lot worse without the first tournament win) and I'm 55th in total stats (1st in FW accuracy and putting avg, but my total scoring and driving distance are pitiful compared to the AI players.)

My top ten for The Waste Management Phoenix Open:
1. Jason Bohn -20. Another playoff as Jonathon Byrd also finished at -20 but lost the first playoff hole with a bogey vs Bohn's par.
3. Pat Perez -17
T4. Charles Howell III, Greg Chalmers -16
T6. Brandon deJonge, Matt Kuchar, Steve Marino, Carl Petterson -15
T10. Mickelson, Kevin Na, Rory McIlroy, Chris Stroud, John Rollins, Davis Love III, Charley Hoffman, Michael Sim -14.
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on February 15th, 2011, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! My process for choosing the top 64 players is a little complicated. Its a mix of the actual current OWGR and the top money earners from my World Tour From last season. Basicly most of the top seeds would be on both list with the lower seeds being down and on only one list. I think the top 44 on the offcial OWGR and the top 34 from my money list qualified this season. Also anyone in the top 15 money list from 2 seasons ago who hadn't already qualified rounded out the field to make 64 players. I seed them by adding numbers with the lower the number the better your seeding. Example Daivd Toms is not on the offical OWGR top 44 but finished #2 in money on my World Tour last season. So i add 2+64=66 points, Tim Clark is on both list 24+8=32. Each player has a # and then I match them up with highest playing the lowest and so on until I have all the first round matches assigned in all four divisions Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, Bobby Jones and Gary Player divisions.
sandwedge
Tournament Winner

Post by sandwedge »

Great thread - enjoy reading about your progress. Have you guys ever noticed the AI is a lot stronger in match play then in stroke play? It might be me, but I have a much harder time besting the AI in match play. Just when I think I have a safe lead - the AI will catch up with one of those 20 yard putts. And it always seems to be only 1 down by the time we reach the 18th tee. Anyways, following these posts with interest :)
A Brandt
Club Champion

Post by A Brandt »

I decided to give this season play a try, if anything just for the experience of playing all the different courses. After the first tournament, in which I finished the second round something like +20, I realized I needed to make it a little easier. I dialed the wind down and slowed the greens up on most rounds, but I still stink. I made my first cut however, at the AT&T pro-am! I ended up T27 at -10. Life on tour just got a little better :)

Off to Riviera...
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

After finally winning for the 1st time the Accenture Match play tourny and my 2nd straight win I'm in trouble at Bay Hill at +4 after the 1st round on A-M-G. The greens where moist and it took me awhile to get used to them. These are the slowest greens I can recall EVER playing. I mean SLOOOOOWWWWW. Any putt appox 25 feet I have to think of it as a 60 footer to get it to the hole. Well I guess its time for round 2.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Dale did some strange things with the BH-P courses (or so I was told when my shots were all over the place), using the same type/look texture with different characteristics. Jimi/Hover is also alledged to have doctors some of his courses. Yeh, I noticed the slow greens also. It's still a month ahead for me.
Yesterday I finished up the Pebble Beach Pro-Am. I played Spyglass, Poppy Hills (love those two courses) and Pebble the last 2 round. I had a real chance to make the playoff but a couple of bogies on the b9 hurt, and then I ended up in trouble and unable to get anything but pars on the last 5 holes... that hurts when two of them are p5s and you can't get a birdie. Anyway I finished third and I'm back to #1 on the money list. Steve Stricker and Chris Stroud finished at -21; Stroud bogied the first PO hole (#10) and finished second. My most consistent player has been Brendon de Jonge; he's had 4 Top 10 finishes and missed 1 cut; he's the only member of the non-winner millionaires club so far. The rest of my top 10:
3. Indy Anna Jones -19
T4. Matt Jones, Retief Goosen, de Jonge -18
T7. John Senden, Ernie Els, Paul Casey -17
T10. Jerry Kelly, Bill Haas, Jonathan Byrd, Robert Allenby, Dean Wilson, Bubba Watson -16.

(I sure regret that the designers didn't allow online season play; now THAT would have been a blast.)
Last edited by Indy Anna Jones on February 15th, 2011, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Yeah online season play would have been alot of fun except theirs no way I can compete with the top dogs out their like Terry, Dar and a few others. They would dominate. I missed the cut at Bay Hill. If it wasn't for bad luck I would of had no luck at all for those 2 rounds. Shot 76, 77 for +9. I also noticed even though the greens were extremely slow that approaches to the green would bounce like they were dry or very dry. Also most of my shots were a half to 1 full club short of normal. I had 1 chip in and could have had 4 others except the ball rolled over the hole and stopped between 3 and 4 feet behind the hole each time. I also hit 2 balls in the water at I think was # 10. The second shot I thought was perfect but landed that half club I told you about.Oh well on next to the Trophee Hassan II Open another Euro stop in Morocco that features 2 courses. I will play on Crook O' Lune and Bayview Hills Resort. Both styles are different but both are seaside which is what I believe is true with this tourny.
Forgot to mention Edoardo Molinari won The Arnold Palmer Invitational with a -24
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Steve you describe exactly what happened to me at BH-P; absolutely no consistency in the shot results from off the fairway, so you better make darn sure to keep the ball on the short grass.
Ooh I love Bayview Hills Resort. Ezmny did such a super job planting the borders around the rock formation that sometimes it's hard to tell where the course ends and the pano begins. I selected it for the Mayakoba Classic in 2 weeks, but it looks like I'll be in the match play event and letting the 60 non-qualifiers play it straight through on the computer.

Were you around during the Copyright Club offline tourney events? They had this gamewatch or gamespy thing that you had to have on to record and report your scores. I was a newby and pretty lousy, and kept wondering how George and Terry, etc. were shooting -50, -60 on those harsh conditions. I quit in frustration.

What I was meaning though is it would be neat if you and your regular opponents could tee it up together using the season play mode; competing against each other for tourney dollars against the computer league (or just among yourselves) with PGA keeping the stats for you.