Season Play Results

Any PGA series discussion that doesn't fit in another forum.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Re: Season Play Results

Post by Indy Anna Jones »

Jiminy, I almost hate to post. As far as a 6 stroke lead, last week at Sawgrass Jason Bohn shot -11 in the second round and had a 5 stroke lead over (IIRC) Adam Scott at -15 vs -10, but he was still 3 strokes behind me. Strangely Bohn only managed to shoot par the rest of the weekend.

Was gone for a couple of days so I just played the first round this evening. Kris Blanks had the clubhouse lead at -8 when I teed off. I had -8 by the 10the hole then parred out until #18 when I birdied to take the first round lead. L/D/B today, L/D/G tomorrow. Poor Ian Poulter got the kod today. I just don't understand why these guys can't putt when they're playing "live." He missed at least 8 short putts for birdie or par, ending up with +4 when he should have been at least -4.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Dustin Johnson continues his Red Hot play with a victory in the BMW International Open shooting a (-15) at Gut Kaden. The 10 points for his win gives him the lead in the points title. Bubba finished 1 shot back for a solo 2nd place.
Anyone not familar with Gut Kaden should go download immediately. This is an outstanding course. This tournament summed up how my season has been so far. I'm consistent at being inconsistent. Round 1 on A-D-S I shoot -1. Had to play great in those tough conditions to score 71. Round 2 is L-N-S. I'm thinking I should be able to shoot in the sixty's but NOOO I shoot even par 72. Then round 3 L-D-G conditions. I have my worst round of the season mainly due to a horrible day putting and shoot an 80. I miss the 2nd cut. I hit 3 or 4 short mushy putts in 1 round. I occassionaly hit 1 of these but 3 or 4 in 1 round is unheard of. All I can figure is I must have just ever so slightly decelerated thru the ball.
Next up The AT&T National. I've selected Bethpage as the course.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

OK all you season players. How about posting some progress and who's hot and whos not or whatever.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

I've been working some extra shifts and have a design project going on, so I withdrew from the Crowne Plaza/Colonial event even though I was in second place after 2 rounds. Hey, with the money I've made, it would have all gone to taxes anyway. :laugh:

Paul Casey won his third event of the season with a red hot -9 on the final round to beat out 4 other players by 2 strokes at -21. Dean Wilson, Steve Stricker, David Toms and Chad Collins all finished at -19 and tied for second.
T6. Jason Bohn, Bubba Watson, J.P. Hayes, Robert Allenby, Steve Marino, Brian Gay -18

After 20 tournaments, the top 10 and earnings:
1. Indy Anna Jones $7,386,971*
2. Paul Casey $5,771,029*
3. Jason Bohn $4,728,161*
4. Joe Durant $4,134,787*
5. Retief Goosen $3,249,333#
6. Charles Howell III $2,893,937
7. Bubba Watson $2,809, 738#
8. Jonathon Byrd $2,774,797#
9. Webb Simpson $2,633,129
10. Charlie Wi $2,551,523
*Multi tourney winners; # no tourney wins

Positions 11-25: 11. Dean Wilson; 12. Ryuji Imada*; 13. Pat Perez; 14. Bryce Molder*; 15. Matt Kuchar; 16. Steve Stricker*; 17. Chris Couch; 18. Zach Johnson; 19. Brandon de Jonge; 20. Charley Hoffman; 21. David Toms; 22. Greg Chalmers; 23. Graham DeLaet; 24. Chad Collins; 25. Hunter Mahan*
*tourney winners

3 players have yet to reach $100K for the season: 120. Martin Laird $81,467; 121. Jimmy Walker $77,800; 122. Y. E. Yang $74,343.

This week The Byron Nelson Championship @ TPC Los Colinas.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

The AT&T National has concluded. We would like to congratulate a 1st time winner on the tour Shooting (-16) at Bethpage Black Gary Woodland. Chad Campbell and Miguel A. Jimenez finished in a tie for 2nd 3 shots off the winner at (-13). For the 7th consecutive tourny Dustin Johnson has finished in the top 10 with a tie for 6th.
I was tied for 31st after 3 rounds at (-4) but shot a final round 62 to finish at (-12) and a tie for 4th. The only other person among the leaders in season points to get any was Charl Schwartzel who finished with a tie for 6th and recevied 2 points.

Next up THE JOHN DEERE CLASSIC being played at Carolindi Forest G.C. HEY JUDY I could use a designers scouting report.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Week 21: the HP Byron Nelson Championship at the TPC at Los Calinas.

This has been the most fun tournament of the year for me so far. It's also the only tourney I've lost after being ahead at the end of the 3rd round. Since there was an odd number of players, I played solo. The winner, Chris Couch (-22,) started 1 back two groups behind me (3-way tie for 2cd) and he was red hot on the f9 scoring -5 for a 2 stroke lead after his 9th. I birdied #8 getting it back to 1 then choke time for the old pro. I missed #9 to the right and it trickled over the lakeside retaining wall onto a tiny sliver of PLAYABLE deep weed rough. I tried to take it out sideways (stupid) but it hit the wall and fell back onto that sliver. So then I dropped (smart) across the lake in deep rough then 2 putted for a double bogey. Meanwhile Chris birdied #10 and now had a 4 stroke lead. I had 2 birdies on the b9 but he matched me bird for bird. So Chris Couch has his first tour win for 2011. I finished in second with a -18. It was a lot of fun; with the exceptions of Pebble Beach and the Valero Texas Open I've either been the winner or so out of it I missed the cut.

The rest of the best:
T3. Matt Kuchar, D. J. Trahan, Ernie Els -17
T6. Zach Johnson, Retief Goosen -16
T8. Brendon de Jonge, Lucas Glover, Stephen Ames, Chris Riley -15

Trahan had his best finish, up from a former T8. Glover and Ames have their first T10 finishes for the season.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Another win for Indy, but I had to work for this one. Paul Casey was on a tear in the group in front of me. Final round, starting with a 3 shot lead, I bogeyed #1 (in the water), and finished the f9 -1 on the day, and 1 shot ahead of Casey. We matched bird for bird until #13, when I made an eagle that put me 3 up. Paul brought it back to 2, but another eagle on 15 put it away for me. So I finished -26 and my 6th win of the season. Casey finished up -22 for his 6th T10 finish.
The rest of the T10:
3. Rory Sabbatini -19
T4. Zach Johnson, Michael Connell* -17
T6. John Senden, Matt Bettencourt* -15
T8. Martin Laird*, Steve Elkington, Paul Goydos, Jonathon Byrd, Ryan Moore, Graham De Laet, Justin Rose -14
*First time top 10 finishers. Laird finally got out of the <$100,000 set.

Next week the St. Jude Classic at TPC Southwind
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

Judy! EAGLE ON. #13. Wow that hole has given me more problems then most at Muirfield Village. On tv I noticed they changed the shape of the fairway bunkers on #13 and made them real deep. How far out were you. Must have been at least 150 yards or more.
Indy Anna Jones
Legend of Golf

Sorry, my mistake Steve. It was 11 and 15, the par 5s.

#5 and #17 were my problem holes. On #5 I kept getting the pin cut close to the water and then missing it short, then having to drop in deep rough. The first time I double-bogeyed because of a glitch at the top and then I didn't swing... automatic stroke in regulation play as you know. Then into the water, etc. The second round was just bad play on my part; on in 4 with a long downhill that I missed and rolled down into the deep stuff; bad chip, putt for the double.
On #17 the second round, I went into the rough right, then tried to reach the green against a 20MPH headwind and went into the water, on in 4 and 2-putt. Then I bogeyed it in the 3rd round after going into the rough and a bad chip out and 2-putt.

Funny thing on the AI players. I played the second round with Casey, and he still shot -4. Can't recall who I played with in the first round but he was +6... the usual KOD.

MV2011 is sure a nice course Steve. I guess usually we (I) play a course once and draw a conclusion and write a revue. Playing in a tournament in varying conditions and needing to score well to make the cut/money finish, you really get a chance to experience the subtleties in the course, like various slopes on the fairway and green, where to try to land on the green/avoid on the fairway, what areas to avoid to stay away from trees (still think Jack's crazy for clearing away so many), etc. Winning helps, of course, but another T10 finish would have very enjoyable.
SteveHorn
Legend of Golf

Post by SteveHorn »

The John Deere Classic at Carolindi Forest has concluded with another 1st time winner on the tour. First I highly recommend Carolindi Forest. If you haven't played it your missing out on an really well made layout that demands accuracy off the tees. That being said I STUNK off the tees and was in deep doo doo way to many times with tree limbs constantly a problem. Shot 75,69,75 missing the 2nd cut.
There was a 3 way tie for 1st between Sergio Garcia, Brendon De Jonge and Kim Kung Tae. The young 25 year old South Korean (Tae) ranked 36th in the world pulled out the win. Only 3 of the top 25 points players got points. Steve Stricker finished in a tie for 4th earning 3 points. Also Scott McCarren finished 6th for 2 points and Ben Craine tied for 8th earning 1 point.
Next THE OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP at Royal St George. I'll be going for my 4th Claret Jug