Golden Gate Heights

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Re: Golden Gate Heights

Post by Sundance »

tarheel wrote: March 12th, 2023, 4:21 pm I’m not sure how the background plays out or if allows for it, but I’m envisioning a hole along the hills along the bay with a scenic view of the bridge. This should be a really neat looking course with the terrain around San Fran.
Brad, I'm trying to keep the bridge in sight with a lot of holes but it's difficult with a mountain style course to keep the BG focused. Not spending a lot of time with the designer. In the middle of a remodel again and it's taking most of my time. I actually started another course as well, Patriots Point but have hardly anything to show for it yet. Those two will be my 2023 project as time allows.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole #2 @ Golden Gate Heights is a 463 yard par 4 that gives you the first real glimpse of what's to come. The elevated tee shot aims for the uphill fairway avoiding the huge bunker to the left. Most will be left with a long iron to an elevated green protected on the left with a treacherous bunker and at the rear with a steep runoff. Long putts will be most difficult but anything close to the pin will be rewarded.
Views from the tee, approach and both front and rear of green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard05.jpg
(652.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard04.jpg
(808.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageImage
Attachments
Clipboard07.jpg
(686.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard06.jpg
(797.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

I love the double spine running through the green Steve! Great feature.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

JReel wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:49 am I love the double spine running through the green Steve! Great feature.
I've been doing this with quite a few greens lately. It serves a dual purpose since I mostly place pins in the flatter areas of the green it rewards the shots close to the pin and makes the long putts challenging. I actually find the long putts to be a lot of fun as they traverse the various breaks over the mounds. If you make a 20 footer on these you've earned it!!
Goran
Scratch Golfer

Post by Goran »

Nice Steve, if you are using this concept on more greens you could make the putting over the spines even harder by angle them a bit and make them more irregular. The pins could be on flat pieces but the way to get to them would be even more unpredictable. I also place my pins on flat ground, but this is a great way to punish poor approaches.
Love that bunker!
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Goran wrote: March 15th, 2023, 3:53 pm Nice Steve, if you are using this concept on more greens you could make the putting over the spines even harder by angle them a bit and make them more irregular. The pins could be on flat pieces but the way to get to them would be even more unpredictable. I also place my pins on flat ground, but this is a great way to punish poor approaches.
Love that bunker!
Goran, I do angle the spines on some greens and on other I'll use maybe one spine and then place irregular lifts and dips depending on the size of the green. I also employ the random terrain elevation on some but at a very low rate creating subtle changes in elevation but I tend to use this cautiously as it can create very frustating results for the golfer.
tarheel
Legend of Golf

Post by tarheel »

This is just so good looking. Creativity has no boundary for you
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

tarheel wrote: March 16th, 2023, 8:00 pm This is just so good looking. Creativity has no boundary for you
Thanks Brad, that's very kind.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

ImageHole #3 at Golden Gate Heights is a 190 yard par 3. You must carry the bunker fronting the green off the tee while avoiding the bunkers on either side. If you overshoot the green slopes down and away at the rear demanding an accurate drive. Views from the tee and an aerial of the green.Image
Attachments
Clipboard09.jpg
(706.64 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Clipboard08.jpg
(774.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet