'Alainn Tr'aigh Links

The course architect, design theory, and current projects.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Re: 'Alainn Tr'aigh Links

Post by BradTheDad »

I can see why you're worried Jeff.

It's two hands for beginners mate! :bg:

Hope you had a great Christmas.

Cheers

Brad
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

Sundance wrote: December 17th, 2022, 12:15 am Group course update: I have now received four folders, Charlie (2 holes), Goran, Brad and Galen (2 holes). I received messages from Goran and Jeff that they are going to combine their two holes into one folder, holes 17 and 18. We still have a ways to go so get them design minds working!!
Rick Sugarman sent me his folder and he did a fantastic job on his design hole. We now have five folders and seven (7) holes completed. Roy your up next with a par 5 hole #3. Keep em' coming guys.
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Hi Steve,

any chance of pictures of the holes we haven't seen yet?

Cheers

Brad
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

BradTheDad wrote: December 25th, 2022, 8:04 pm I can see why you're worried Jeff.

It's two hands for beginners mate! :bg:

Hope you had a great Christmas.

Cheers

Brad
Topspin forehand my man!! ;)

Good Christmas... hope you and your family enjoyed it too!
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

Goran wrote: December 24th, 2022, 3:48 pm So that is how a Biarritz green looks like in real life? I did one in Gator Alley that I helped you finish Jeff. Glad you are doing this the right way now lol. How long is the distance to the pin here? I suppose the approach cant be too long to be able to stop before running down and away :)
My version in GBC was like 200 yards to the first part before the chasm, but with fairway to land at, looks much easier than in your photo.

Ah, right Goran! I forgot about the Biarritz on Gator Alley! Nice!

Most Biarritz are designed as a long par 3, with the back pin locations as far as 230+. The idea (at the time) was to run your tee shot through the first plateau, down through the swale and then up onto the back plateau. At Yale, that front pin was about 180. It's a bit odd in that some Biarritz holes are fairway up to and through the swale, so there are no front pins. I much prefer the ones that have green/pin locations in front of the swale. Anyway, I've played several (Yale, Yeamans Hall, Streamsong, North Berwick... there's even one at a new course at PGA National), they are great fun!
JReel
Shotmaker

Post by JReel »

Charlie wrote: December 24th, 2022, 11:47 am Great photo and look at this iconic hole!

The Fried Egg is a great source of information for the template golf holes!

Charlie
Thanks Charlie. One cool thing I found out from our day at Yale and talking to the Director of Golf is that Gil Hanse is coming in to do a full restoration in 2023-24. It is an amazing layout with some of the best holes I've ever played, the stretch of 8 through 12 (with a Redan green, a Biarritz, the crazy uphill second shot on 10 and the Alps 12th) is just phenomenal. But, it has some quirky holes (3 and 18 come to mind) and the tree overgrowth is just choking the golf course. I think when Hanse gets done however, Yale will definitely climb back into the top 100 and perhaps in the top 50. The bones are just that good.
Sundance
Legend of Golf

Post by Sundance »

BradTheDad wrote: December 26th, 2022, 5:29 pm Hi Steve,

any chance of pictures of the holes we haven't seen yet?

Cheers

Brad
Brad, everyone has been posting their own.
mikey2020
Weekend Duffer

Post by mikey2020 »

Hole #5 192yd Par3 - An assortment of challenges awaits depending on the wind and pin location into this double green. The bunker is to be avoided otherwise you'll spend 2 shots trying to get out. The green itself has two distinct sections, the larger section is more mounded and is actually easier to miss completely or end in the wrong area as it's about30x40yd section. The smaller section is more subtle but brings the coastline into play. It's a tough birdie chance but making double is easy. Par will be a good score here.
hole05-1.jpg
(475.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole05-2.jpg
(303.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
hole05-3.jpg
(402.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Nice looking hole Mikey. I might have to bring my bucket and spade, as ending up on the beach is a real possibility.

Cheers

Brad
BradTheDad
Legend of Golf

Post by BradTheDad »

Sorry Steve, I thought you had received some holes we hadn't seen screenies of yet.

Cheers

Brad